Monday, February 8, 2016

Pats' Fan For Peyton

I really don't like the Broncos. Their fans are holier than thou, though they've certainly been embroiled in their own cheating scandals that they don't want to talk about; Super Bowl MVP Von Miller, an absolute manimal on the field who completely deserved the award, has had his own issues with PED use and attempting to dodge the testing process. But all I hear from their fans is "we don't cheat"...uh-huh.

And the play of Aqib Talib was disgraceful in the first half.  He actually ADMITTED that his face mask penalty was on-purpose.  Ripping a wide out down by the face mask is a great way to cause a neck injury which is why it is a personal foul and a 15-yard penalty.  But our players are beyond reproach.  You betcha.

There is, however, one reason I'm glad they won.

Peyton Manning.

Though he's been a longtime rival of my Patriots and Tom Brady, I can't help but like the guy.

His Saturday Night Live appearances are legendary.  His United Way parody skit is one of the greatest of all time.

He's a pitchman extraordinaire and completely makes selling out look fun!  And I mean that sincerely and in the very best of ways.  Chris and I have talked repeatedly about selling out - "early and often" is our motto!  Make your money when you can.  Your critics don't pay your bills and won't support your family.  Laugh, or in Peyton's case - sing - all the way to the bank.  "Cashing checks I love you sooooo."

You can never know the guy personally from the perspective of a fan, of course, but he comes across warm and open.  I love me my Tom Brady (he's awfully dreamy) but Tom just doesn't pull off warm and open.  Peyton you'd like to sit and have a beer with.  A Budweiser apparently.  I'd feel like if I sat at a bar with Tom I'd be nervous about ordering the wrong wine, spirit or craft beer!

Sure, Peyton isn't without his clouds (are any of us?).  Right now he has a mighty big one floating around on alleged HGH use.  He has admitted that it was delivered to his house.  And it sure was suspiciously close to his recovery from a neck injury.  But the claim is that it was for his wife. 

Naysayers are saying "sure...his wife..." and winking mightily.  What if it actually WAS for his wife?  He doesn't need to prove that to us - mostly because it would be an intense violation of her privacy.  Proving it to league investigators, in private and under non-disclosure, would be enough. 

And no I'm not going to get into comparing and contrasting the presumption of innocence by parties on the Pat's alleged deflation of footballs and this issue.  That's been done ad nauseum and Commissioner Goodell and the NFL have done a good job of looking like morons all on their own.  Brady's treatment was shameful given the "evidence" and that's that.

I like the guy. 

I can't help it.  I'm not turning in my Tom Brady fan club membership card or my Tedy Bruschi jersey, but I do like and respect him.  I hope he does retire.  It would be great for him to go out on top.  His performance has slid and with his nagging injuries and advancing football years (40 before the start of next season) it would be the best way for him to retire. 

I'd rather he hang 'em up now rather than hang around and play one year too long.  For one, that's sad to see and secondly, one hit in just the right spot in the neck could cripple him.  That's no way for a legend to have to go.

Now should it end up that he goes all Rafael Palmero on us: forget what I said.

2 comments:

  1. "my Tom Brady"... barf lol

    and YES WE WILL SELL OUT EARLY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You betcha!

    Now we can argue about him being the Greatest, but you can't deny his dreaminess!

    ReplyDelete