Thursday, July 7, 2016

"Black in the Wrong Place"

Here we go again.  Here.  At home.

Philando Castile was pulled over for a broken tail light a Twin Cities suburb.  He had a conceal carry permit, allegedly informed the police officer that he had one and had a handgun when he was asked for his license and permit. 
Shockingly he had both in his wallet in his back pocket.  I know that I usually leave my license out so it’s right there when I get pulled over, but hey…I guess that’s just me.

Castile went to get his information as allegedly requested by the officer or was putting his hands back down.
He was shot dead.  Apparently four times.

For being Black.
Solid school department employee.  Boyfriend.  Father figure.  Son.  Another African American male shot dead by white a police officer just hours after another African American male, pinned to the ground, was shot dead by Baton Rouge police.  The circumstances weren’t the same – no two incidents are ever the same – but the trend continues.

It seemingly never ends.
The most jarring video to me was not the shooting in Louisiana – though that was more than disturbing enough – but the livestreaming video of Castile’s girlfriend immediately following the shooting.  She was calm and respectful.  And she got carted off in handcuffs.  Her 7-year old daughter witnessing it all, the little girl at one point comforting her mother with the words “I’m here with you.”

Castile’s mother told CNN that she always taught her son to comply with police instructions and it sounds like that’s what he did.

And he was killed anyway.

Because he was Black.
Unless something truly unexpected and out of left field comes to light, Castile did everything he was supposed to do.  He followed instructions.  He followed the protocol that is taught in conceal carry classes from what I’m told, but he was shot anyway.

I have no answers.  I wish I did.
Castile’s mother said “I think he was black in the wrong place.”

I’d like to tell her otherwise, but I can’t – she’s right.

1 comment: